Sunday, August 05, 2007

Should I?

So for the past year or so, probably a little over a year. . . I've contemplated twice growing out my relaxer. The first time I decided not to I was in STL, working out 4-5 times a week, and my beautician was like no. . . I wasn't sure if it would cut into her cashflow or if she was being sincere that I wouldn't want to deal with that. So I let it go. . . but I kept the thought in my head. So my friend Rhonda has a "fro" of some sort for almost 2 years and FINALLY got that mess pressed. . .it looked great. Healthy, not too long, not too short, but really cute for her! So the thoughts surfaced again. Then one day in the beauty salon . ..while I'm getting my relaxer nonetheless. . .I hear this chick talking about this product called Miss Jessies out of NYC. So at home I look it up, looks interesting but the website ain't working so I can order it. . .ghetto. But I do see it listed in magazines like Essence, Ebony, etc a few times after that.
So yesterday morning, why I don't know. . . I get up and decide to look up Miss Jessie's again. . . I have no clue why! So as I'm perusing her website and places where to go in CLT to get it, I run across several "natural" promoting sites! And the salon where I decided to venture to does this stuff on the regular and they specifically mention transition styles. So I'm like transition stuff. . . voila! Wow what can they offer, okay I'll go see what they say. B/c as much as I want to stop the relaxers. . . I ain't trying to cut all my hair off.
So I go to the salon and this very nice dreaded man explains all my options. It was like I was interviewing him. . .I mean hey this is serious stuff. He said that in the mean time inbetween time (meaning when my natural hair catches up to a reasonable length that most people do a lot of straw sets, roller sets, flat twists, or two strand nappy twists (w/ extensions) in my case. . . so my question is . . .How would I look? I mean I don't work at a Fortune 500 company anymore so I don't have to "play that game." I work in a hospital and within the next year I'm not really looking to make any "major" career jumps. So in essesnse that gives me ~9 mos to try "something new." As I was researching online I noticed that SEVERAL woman stated that they had gone natural 2 or 3 times within their past life. So I'm wondering. . .should I try it before I hit 30. . . would it be such a bad thing. I mean I am in "the next ATL" . . .so I'm sure I'll be received quite well!
So for my 2 friends who'll read this more than likely. . . holla at cha girl!

4 comments:

Jenn Will said...

Ok so the au naturale...I took a day to really ponder this, really figure out how exactly you would look....and this is the conclusion that I have come to...Do it! A girlfriend of mine recently did the same transition and implemented a lot of the styles that the stylist you talked to mentioned. I think the face is key...and, no lesbo, but you have a beautiful face that could pull off any look!

jendayi said...

Get that relaxer out of your hair chile'! Lol. Obviously I think you should go for it. Like you said, why not? It's nice to try it while you're young fancy free. I'm all for doing new stuff though, so maybe I'm biased. Jenn knows your face a lot better than I do though.. but it seems as if she agrees.

Yeah au naturale!

Vickilyn said...

Wow thanks guys! I knew only peeps who understand my boho look would go for it?
j.a.c. do you have a relaxer? I thought you did?
Jenn I just can't do the weaves that was the most uncomfortable week of my life!

ifoundit said...

Hi Vicki! It's Eurikca (Eboni's friend)...Well, I was natural for 2.5 years and I don't regret it. I just relaxed my hair five days ago and I feel naked. Yes, I'm more visible to those who love straight and silkened hair, but I don't feel as authentic. I don't care for all the compliments I received at work this week or the "new" attention in Times Square because I didn't get it a week ago. My advice to you, is to try it. When I went natural, I chopped all my relaxed hair off. I had a fade, lol and got joked, but I think I looked hot. All in all, please do what makes YOU feel good. If the natural does that, do it. If the relaxed hair does it for you, get a touch up. Me, myself, personally (lol), I wish I could have one more day my kinks... :(