Saturday, April 18, 2009

Baseboards!!!

So my sweet and dear husband is a wonderful man of God. I work continuously (b/c it is in fact a constant job) to be as much of a "help" to him as I can. I can cook (don't do it every day. . but it's cool), I have a great/stable job (bring home a good paycheck), I work out (try to keep it "tight" as Kelly laid out in the song "Cater to You"), and the list goes on. . .I mean I consider myself a pretty good catch! But the one thing that I did not dwell on or spend days/nights doing over the years is cleaning. I believe in keeping a neat home, room, closet, etc. I hate clutter and will do what I can to get things organized. And by the ordinary standards of most, my homes (apts or house) was always clean. BUT one day my dear sweet husband suggested that on my day off I clean the baseboards. . . now my 1st reaction (be it unconciously or not) was like ummm sweetie (in my best voice) . . .don't be trying to plan my day off or giving me a list of tasks to complete. But as I discussed this with my friend Adrienne, I stumbled upon probably the root of my response. . .simply put. . .What is a Baseboard? And who cleans them?
I have been on my own since 2003 and prior to that I lived on campus. . .and NEVER in my mind has the thought of cleaning a baseboard come up! Who does that? Well in talking with my sweetie he informed me that his mother used to come home from work, cook a meal, and clean all the time. . .Ummm in 2009 that's on a whole 'nother level. I can't do it. So in my effort to stay on top of things, my friend Sherrie said she's started making a task board, Kesha said she makes a menu for the week so she can mentally know what she's going to cook before she leaves work (this is to avoid the daily trip to the grocery store that was creeping on me). . .so I have done what. . .Tried to incorporate both of those in addition to many other "pearls" that successful wives have given me. B/c truth be told all marriages aren't happy ones and you gotta be careful who you let poor into your life.
So this morning I sent a text to my friend & fellow wife Crystal encouraging her to do something "sweet" for her honey today. And it can be anything. . .I went for a run (again trying to keep it tight) and decided to clean up a bit. . .so my text to her motivated me to try to figure out what else I can do for my hubby. . .Cleaned the bathroom (check), dusted (check), dishes in dishwasher (check), laundry in dryer (check), change the sheet (check). . .and I was like what can I do to finish it off. . . Baseboards. . .now how to do you clean those again?
Since my training during my residency included the internet and its many uses. . .I went straight to good old google. . .and looked up "How to Clean Baseboards." And voila. . .http://www.ehow.com/how_2038175_clean-baseboards.html . . . seems pretty simple and might even be a quick job (I mean I don't have to do the entire house do I?) only the important places right now (downstairs). . .But it's 12:05 and the one thing not included in my completed tasks for today is food. . .so ummm. . .I'ma go get some lunch and THINK about cleaning the baseboards maybe later or on my next day off!

2 comments:

Jenn Will said...

I love it!! The funny thing is that I have a housekeeper (and always will, as long as I work or get an allowance and the Lord permits housekeepers, Jennwill will have a housekeeper) and I often find myself noticing that she doesn't consistently clean the baseboards. I even went so far as to buy one of those duster wands so that I can just walk through the house and hit the baseboards from time to time...

All of that notwithstanding, I appreciate the way you handled your husband's request, its a great example of humility and subjection. I think we all would have had that initial reaction, it was very christian like for you to rethink the approach! Vicki is the best wife ever :)

Sharese said...

HAHAHA! I am so sad I am just reading this post! Girl, one day I looked down at my baseboard and they were slammed covered in lint> My mother in law was in town and I was like, dang, I guess I need to clean those huh? Thank God she doesnt judge me but simply got a sponge and bucket and we divided up the house! Lord that was work. But uhm my pregunta...if he hubby saw they needed to be cleaned he should have cleaned it (but Jenn is right your handling of the situation was very Minister wifish! ;-)